M. L. Harris Library and Fine Arts Building

bldg_00213.jpg

Title

M. L. Harris Library and Fine Arts Building

Description

M. L. Harris Library and Fine Arts Building, designed in 1952 by Ginocchio, Cromwell and Associates (Reed, 2002). Philander Smith College broke ground for the library and arts complex on September 25, 1959 (Panther Yearbook, 1960). The building was completed and dedicated on October 23, 1962 in honor of the Colleges 4th President, M. L. Harris, the visionary behind the project (Dedication Program, 1962). The Fine Arts Building formerly housed the campus library, office space, classrooms for the Art Department, and a production studio that was home to KPSC, Philander Smith Colleges radio station in the 1970-80's (Panthernaut, 1970). The M. L. Harris building currently houses several departments and Harris Auditorium (on the 1st floor) is still used by the College to host a myriad of programs, ceremonies and lectures for the campus community and the general public.

Subject

Historic buildings
College campuses
M. L. Harris Library and Fine Arts Building

Source

Reed, T. (2002). Philander Smith College Master Facilities Plan, 1998-2002. PSC Buildings Collection.
Philander Smith College (1962). M. Lafayette Harris Library and Fine Arts Building dedication program. PSC Buildings Collection, Box 16.
KPSC-socks soul on PSC. (1970, March). The Panthernaut. The Panthernaut Collection.
Panther Yearbook, 1960.

Publisher

D. W. Reynolds Library, Archives and Special Collections

Format

Image/jpg

Type

Still image

Identifier

bldg_00213

Coverage

Little Rock (Ark.)

Original Format

Black & white photographs

Physical Dimensions

10 x 8 in.

Social Bookmarking

Geolocation

Tags

Citation

“M. L. Harris Library and Fine Arts Building,” Philander Smith College Digital Archive, accessed December 1, 2022, https://pscdigitalarchive.omeka.net/items/show/129.