The Barracks (Alumni Hall)

bldg_00216.jpg

Title

The Barracks (Alumni Hall)

Date

1950's

Description

The Barracks (also known as Alumni Hall) is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and it is currently in use as the Honors Students' Residence (Reed, 2002). The building was originally built in 1949 and was formerly the campus student union and the music hall. The structure housed a cafeteria, lounges, a recreation room and office space for the Deans of Men and Women. The Barracks was renovated in 1992 and converted into the PSC Alumni Affairs Office/Archive and the UNCF/Development Office (Philanderian, 1992). The building is located on 1104 Izard Street.

Subject

Barracks
Alumni Hall
Historic buildings

Source

Reed, T. (2002). Philander Smith College maser facilities plan, 1998-2002. PSC Buildings Collection.
Alumni archives to open Mar. 1. (1992, Winter). The Philanderian [newsletter]. The Philanderian Collection.

Publisher

D. W. Reynolds Library, Archives and Special Collections

Format

Image/jpg

Type

Still image

Identifier

bldg_00216

Coverage

Little Rock (Ark.)

Original Format

Black & white photographs

Physical Dimensions

10 x 8 in.

Social Bookmarking

Geolocation

Citation

“The Barracks (Alumni Hall),” Philander Smith College Digital Archive, accessed August 9, 2022, https://pscdigitalarchive.omeka.net/items/show/130.