Housing Authority of the City of Little Rock
Budlong Hall was the first brick building on the campus of Philander Smith College. The structure housed classrooms, a library, various offices and dormitory housing for male students. In 1882, Mrs. Adeline Smith (widow of Philander Smith) of Oak Park, Illinois gifted over $10,000 to Walden Seminary and students provided the labor to erect the main campus structure by 1883 (PSC Catalog, 1924-25). Mr. John Budlong (Oak Park, IL) also gave funds which were used to construct the north wing of the building (Gibson, 1972). Budlong Hall was dedicated on September 2, 1883 and razed in 1963. Originally located at 1015 Izard Street.
Catalog of Philander Smith College, 1924-1925.
Gibson, D. (1972). A historical study of Philander Smith College, 1877-1969 [Doctoral dissertation]. University of Arkansas.
D. W. Reynolds Library, Archives and Special Collections
Little Rock (Ark.)
Black & white photographs
7 x 5 in.
Housing Authority of the City of Little Rock, “Budlong Hall,” Philander Smith College Digital Archive, accessed January 19, 2020, https://pscdigitalarchive.omeka.net/items/show/60.